FEV’s natural cloud forest environment and spectacular views are second to none in Northern Nicaragua. Our five hiking trails, over 10 kilometers of trails in all, give the visitor full access to the entire property; including primary forest, transitional forest, organic coffee fields, look-out points, and community trails.
- Blue Trail takes the visitor through our Cup of Excellence ™ winning coffee field “Plantío La Sombra.” The visitor will marvel at the tall broadleaf shade species and dappled sunlight on the plants, the perfect recipe for delicious coffee.
- Yellow Trail begins at the conclusion of Blue Trail, taking the hiker past the waterfall and swimming hole that provides welcome relief in summer months. As the hiker makes his way up along the ridge, transitional forest (abandoned coffee plants in the understory) illustrates how quickly the tropical forest regenerates.
- Green Trail, although our shortest trail, takes the visitor into the heart of our primary forest. This trail is also the most “adventurous” and we ask that hikers take their time and use common sense on some of the steeper passes. Hikers are rewarded by seeing some of our most pristine forest, as well as birds, wildlife and several mountain streams.
- Purple Trail, our newest trail, takes the hiker strait up the mountain, through primary forest, to the highest look-out point on the property. From here, the visitor can see over 100 kilometers to the West before descending back down through the forest and into the coffee fields.
- Red Trail is our longest and most popular trail taking the hiker through several different ecological and land-use areas. The hiker will walk through pasture land, transitional forest, primary forest, and finally past a community school built with proceeds from ecotourism. Red Trail also shares the community’s trails in parts, so be sure to take a map and carefully navigate all of the trail intersections and crossroads.